Saturday, February 16, 2013

No Concern is Too Small - Learning from the different versions of the First Vision story

In 1820, fourteen-year-old Joseph Smith entered into a grove of trees behind his house to say what became one of the most important prayers in the history of the world. The result of this prayer was his call to become the prophet of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to usher in the "dispensation of the fulness of times" (Ephesians 1:10), coming directly from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Since this event, Joseph has on at least four occasions recounted his experience. The 1832 version, in particular, really shows me that even while God might have huge plans for us in the future, no present concern of ours is too small.

I hope that this will help you realize that the different accounts of this marvelous event are truly an asset in our understanding of the gospel! (For more about the four accounts, see this article.)

As you might know, Joseph was living in Palmyra, New York, which was at the time was experiencing "an unusual excitement on the subject of religion" (Joseph Smith - History 1:5 aka the 1838 account). Joseph was getting very nervous as he saw so many different religions contending for converts, and really feared for his own soul's salvation. In Our Search for Happiness, M. Russell Ballard presents an imaginary discussion with Joseph and his family around the dinner table:
"Jesus was baptized," Joseph may have reasoned, "so that means I need to be baptized, too. Mother's minister has invited me to be baptized at his church. But Father's minister says that I won't go to heaven if I'm baptized as a Presbyterians. Then the Baptist minister tells me that he's the only one in town who knows anything about baptism. And now I don't know what to do. Can we just let them all take turns baptizing me? Or do I have to pick one of them? And if I do, which one should I pick?
While that may not be exactly how it happened, the depth and sincerity of young Joseph Smith's questions were real.
See, as Joseph entered into the grove that Spring morning of 1820, he had no intention restoring a church. He wasn't planning on being visited by deity. He simply was
worried about his soul's destination in the world to come.

In the 1832 version, after Joseph knelt down and vocalized his prayer, he reports:
[A] piller of fire light above the brightness of the sun at noon day come down from above and rested upon me and I was filled with the spirit of god and the Lord opened the heavens upon me and I saw the Lord and he spake unto me saying Joseph my son thy sins are forgiven thee. go thy way walk in my statutes and keep my commandments behold I am the Lord of glory. (sic, read the full account here.)
He went on in this account to say that "the world lieth in Sin and at this time and none doeth good no not one they have turned asside from the gospel." As time went on and as people challenged Joseph's ability to receive revelation and his call as a prophet, the emphasis of his reports began to focus more and more on the fact that all people and church's had abandoned Christ's teachings.

But how beautiful is this first account! God had great things in store for young Joseph, no question. He was to usher in the Church of Jesus Christ to prepare for the Lord's Second Coming! However, Heavenly Father knew that Joseph was worried about his own sins at the time. He first wanted to settle Joseph's issues without moving on to things of seemingly more importance.

How often do we feel like our own concerns are overlooked? Whether by friends, family, or even God? Even if I know they aren't overlooked, I often feel like my concerns are too insignificant to take to Heavenly Father in prayer. I love this story because it shows that no concern of ours is too small. Heavenly Father wants our souls to be at peace, and if we will humbly approach Him in prayer, He will bring us peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment