Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My Own Gospel Lens

What does this picture
have in common with his one?
 

What do either of them have in common with
this one?
Is there anything that all four have in common?

































































Now, there really shouldn't be much resemblance that you can see that would really make sense here. You could probably really stretch it and come up with something... but good luck. However, there is one thing in all four pictures that is so obvious that we overlook it entirely: The lens.

In the gospel, I have found that we all have lenses through which we see the world. Just like with these pictures, if we didn't have a lens, nothing that we see would maintain the same level of beauty. Things would be out of focus. The colors would melt together. The majesty of the image would be lost entirely. We would go from some incredible shots to some odd melted picture where we know something is there, but can't completely identify what. There is a picture of a lens in every photograph, and it decides everything.

Recently, I did a series of posts about some "Incomprehensible Joys" of my mission. Looking back and thinking on some of these experiences was incredible in and of itself. It got me thinking of more and more experiences. Most of these aren't very bloggable. They are conversations, quotes, and feelings I have had. Even the ones I shared I am positive are more dear to me than they are to any of you who read them. These all contribute to the lens through which I see the world and through which I see my religion and my God.

Even through all of this, there is one experience that I would say is the very essence of my lens. I am an odd sort, definitely not the common missionary. I like to seek questions so that I can eventually seek answers. It really is a bad habit that I sometimes take too far. It leaves me troubled for days or more sometimes, and yet in the end solidifies my testimony even more when I finally find the answer. Most of the principles I have the strongest testimony of are the very principles that were once the most in question for me.

I want to share an experience of my own conversion. My own incomprehensible joy, you might say. It has become the central anchor in my testimony, because it starts with my testimony being all but destroyed. Really, it is the lens that I see everything else through.

I went to college at Utah State University for a year before my mission. Loved it! Definitely where I was supposed to go. While the classes are admittedly not the most elite, the opportunity for student involvement was incredible. One of the activities I jumped right into was writing for the school's newspaper, The Utah Statesman. In my second semester, I was given a pretty minor assignment to cover an interfaith luncheon held at the LDS Institute. I went, interviewed the institute director and a few student of various faiths who were present, and finally I got to interview a religious leader from a non-LDS faith. His name was Jason, and he headed up a Born-Again Christian group there on campus called the Navigators.

I'm going to interrupt my story here and emphasize that I hold Jason in the highest regards. Even after this story, he and I have kept a very dear friendship and talk fairly regularly. I have no question that everything he did was truly looking out for me and my best interest. I want that to be very clear.

Anyways, our interview went well. It stayed more about the event than about his beliefs, since it was for a newspaper. But, only a month or so later, I was surprised to see Jason again! This time, he was speaking to my fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon. Our SigEp chapter was overwhelmingly LDS, so we wanted to have representative of other faith groups come and talk a little bit. Jason was first up. We had some great conversations about the differences in his beliefs and our own. Bit by bit, though, my fraternity brothers had to go. Eventually, some two or three hours later, it was just me and Jason talking with each other. He soon had to go home to his wife and kids.

I ran into Jason a third time a couple weeks after we talked at the SigEp event, when we were walking opposite directions across campus. We said hello, and he said he'd been thinking a lot about our conversation and wanted to talk some more over dinner sometime. I was all for it, so we decided after finals week, we would go get some Costa Vida.

We did just that. We ate and talked, mostly just about our lives. Eventually, the conversation transitioned into religion. We compared our beliefs and just had friendly give and take. "I believe this because of this"... "Well, I believe this because of this." It was great fun. But, after we sat in the restaurant for three hours (not exaggerating!), we decided it was time to go! But, we made it a weekly habit. Usually we'd meet at either Costa Vida or Café Rio, but on occasion we'd just meet up at the SigEp house. I had a blast with those conversations!

Now, to put this into perspective, I received my mission call in March. This was all taking place in May and June. I was within a few months or reporting to the MTC on July 5.

Well, one day, our conversations took an interesting turn. Jason started talking about grace. He showed a few scriptures in the New Testament that really seemed to emphasize that our salvation is all about grace through faith and faith alone. He pointed out that the LDS doctrine of obedience to commandments, the necessity of baptism, and the emphasis on the temple contradicted this teaching. I threw out a few feeble, "faith without works is dead" lines, but I was unconvinced, myself. Here were Bible verses that seemed in direct opposition to what I'd been taught. And yet, Latter-day Saints love and adhere to the Bible. How could this be?

I don't know if I can fully explain how I felt. Here I was, about a month from going on a mission, preaching a message that I didn't fully believe myself. It seemed that, with the LDS Church, I would be going to Hell, and then as a missionary I'd be dragging souls right down with me. The best way to describe my feelings would be that it felt like I had just finished a long race, only to get whacked in the stomach with a baseball bat at the finish line. It was a disgusting, queasy, complete uneasiness. Here I was, about to go for two years to Rochester, NY, and I was pretty convinced that my beliefs were false.

The thought and worry stuck with me for days. (That may not sound like long, but my mission was coming,
and it was crunch time.) Eventually, at work one day, I was reading a Conference Ensign, and found this advice from Elder Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve:
"When I am faced with a very difficult matter, this is how I try to understand what to do. I fast. I pray to find and understand scriptures that will be helpful. That process is cyclical. I start reading a passage of scripture; I ponder what the verse means and pray for inspiration. I then ponder and pray to know if I have captured all the Lord wants me to do. Often more impressions come with increased understanding of doctrine. I have found that pattern to be a good way to learn from the scriptures." (How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life, April 2012.)
I didn't really have a chance to fast since I read this in the afternoon, but that night, I went home and prayed. I told my Father in Heaven that I needed help now. I needed to know the truth now. In the Church, we talk about praying with real intent a lot. As missionaries, when we teach investigators to pray about the Book of Mormon, we emphasize that they need to pray with the real intent of acting on their answer, of being baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ if the Book of Mormon is true. As Latter-day Saints, we are really good about praying with the real intent to stay with the Church and keep following the prophet and keep believing that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, but I don't know how often we pray with the real intent to do otherwise if that is what God tells us.

This time was different. If God had told me that the whole Church was a farce, I would have been done. If God had told me that a mission would be detrimental, I wouldn't have gone. Possibly for the first time in my life, I had REAL real intent.

After I prayed, I didn't really know where to go, and didn't have any overwhelming direction one way or the
other. So, I figured I would just read Romans 3-5, as Jason had suggested earlier. I did decide, though, that I would read chapters two and six, just to make sure I had a better sense of the context. With these chapters and even the message of chapters three, four, and five surrounding the verses Jason had used, I realized that I wasn't quite as damned as I had felt. With a few references to Doctrine and Covenants and other verses of the New Testament, I saw that I wasn't fully done for. But... all the while, there was nothing too convincing that I was reading one way or the other. Maybe I wasn't so glaringly wrong.... but I didn't feel too overwhelmingly right, either.

As I read through the chapters of Romans, I kept seeing cross-reference after cross-reference in the footnotes to Alma 42. I seemed like Alma 42 must have been just the companion chapter of the Book of Mormon to Paul's Epistle to the Romans! Looking back, it is interesting to note that, in those five chapters, there were only three footnotes to Alma 42. But to me, it seemed like there must have been at least a dozen. Anyways, I decided that once I finished Romans 6, I would just go and read the whole chapter of Alma 42.

This turned out to be possibly the most important decision of my life.

Alma 42 is a lesson Alma is teaching his son Corianton. Corianton doesn't understand how justice and mercy can coincide in the same God. Alma goes through and explains that justice must be paid, but mercy will claim the penitent because of the Atonement of Christ. In my mind, it was the perfect explanation of how works (justice) and grace (mercy) work hand-in-hand. I was pretty stoked while reading it. But then the chapter ended with a few verses that I can never forget. Keep in mind, I was about a month from going on my own mission, and that was really what troubled me the most.
"And now, my son, I desire that ye should let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance. O my son, I desire that ye should deny the justice of God no more. ... And now, O my son, ye are called of God to preach the word unto this people. And now, my son, go thy way, declare the word with truth and soberness, that thou mayest bring souls unto repentance, that the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them. And may God grant unto you even according to my words. Amen."
Here I was, a boy about to go on a mission and struggling to understand the nature of God's justice in order to know if I should really go on a mission. What happens? I read a talk by an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ which directs me to pray to find a scripture. Through my studying, I am lead to a verse in the Book of Mormon. In that verse, I am told that I need to stop letting these things trouble me, and remember that I "have been called of God to preach the word."

This all happened May 18, 2012. In my journal that night, I wrote:
"I hope I never forget this experience. ... If that is not an answer to a boy less than two months from going on a mission's prayers, I don't know what is. Prayer is real. God is real. It is not a part of God's plan for us to feel alone, but we cannot get the direction and revelation that we need if we don't pray and communicate with our Heavenly Father. The truth is there, in the scriptures, we just need His help to find it."
I don't know if I can out-testify myself, but I'll give it a shot. I have come to define faith as the binding link
between what we know we experienced and God. I cannot deny that I found a scripture that applied directly to my situation and perfectly answered my question. I cannot deny that it told me to go on a mission. I cannot deny that I wouldn't have even gotten that far if it wasn't for the advice of a modern day Apostle.

I have faith that the Lord guided me through every bit of that. That it was His special way of teaching me of the importance of His commandments. That it was His special way of showing me the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. That it was His special way of helping me trust more in the Apostles' words. And that it was His way of getting me out on a mission to help more people come unto Him. Whenever I feel my faith challenged, I look back on this quiet evening in the bedroom of my fraternity house, remember the assurance I was given then, and press on.

11 comments:

  1. I too have had profound personal experiences with the help of conference talks , prayer, Scriptures combined. but I'm curious of what most criticts tell you when you tell them that while you had doubts of the church and therefore the Book of Mormon and the leaders of the church that you found your answers through those same sources saying youre okay don't worry we're telling you the truth ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, as cheesy and cliché of an answer as it is, this is one of the times where no one has really been able to push me from my testimony. I have told the story a handful of times, and have found that the very worst anyone has really done is just skirt around the issue. However, I've actually had many conversations with more mainstream Christians who have acknowledged that it was, indeed, a revelation from God. I have come to work on not casting my pearls before swine, though, and have cut back a lot on using it as a response to the more brutal critics. They generally could care less and just want to bash on finer, often irrelevant points.

      Now, if someone DID say something similar to what you said, I would point out that I very much intended on doing whatever God told me to do. I went to God for guidance with the scriptures, and I started with the Bible. Was it a General Authority's idea? Yes. Was the Book of Mormon verse the clincher? Yes. But the real act of faith that I would say I exerted was about as neutrally Christian as imaginable.

      Does that answer your question sufficiently?

      Delete
    2. I think you both might be able to help me with understanding Alma 40. I thought we were able to repent before we die , but it soundsl ike you can be judged earlier and go to hell.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous, I would appreciate it if, at all possible, we were able to have a little less anonymity. I've dealt with enough enemies of the Church online who like to hide behind cloaks of anonymity that I just naturally feel apprehensive about it.

      That being said, I'm rereading over Alma 40 and am not seeing quite what you are referencing. Is there a particular verse that is troubling you? If not, I'll give a more broad explanation of my understanding of the chapter, but it probably won't be as specific as you would like.

      Delete
  2. yes Braken it does. I too have been working on the no pearls before swine, I guess those out to bash and argue rather than search for truth will not see so much of the beautiful hidden treasures of the gospel. If it were not for the Holy Ghost and personal revelation I don't see how anybody could find truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite Biblical stories on the matter is when Jesus asks everyone to leave before he raises Jairus' daughter from the dead after they scoffed at the idea that she was only asleep.

      If you are interested, I wrote more about the importance of having our own spiritual experiences and encounters with personal revelation here: http://brackenallen-thinkonthesethings.blogspot.com/2013/11/do-scriptural-miracles-really-matter.html. I talk about how the First Vision, the Risen Savior appearing to Mary, and other dramatic events are only important to us when we have our own spiritual experience accompanying them.

      Delete
  3. Not that I understand all that well but vs 19 & 20 really make me think.
         Your question makes me think about a few things that I keep coming back to. one is that God lets it known that we dont understand his ways including time itself. Second is that I feel that I have been judged of myself according to the knowledge of which I had, and feel that I have been in hell on earth, where there is sorrow and no growth, where I am absent from my family, where I dont feel the spirit, where I dont see the light and cannot comprehend any other reality besides the reality which exists thru the eyes of mine in that temporarily damned state. this may have nothing to do with your question but is what I thought of. I feel that "Hell" can have different meaning or at least can be present at different times or dimensions.  I belive that what most people think of Hell, is what I would consider eternal damnation or to be cast into eternal darkness, which from my understanding will happen to very few "sons of perdition". from my understanding those who have not had a sufficiant opportunity to repent and accept the gospel will certainly receive such, during the millennium after Christ's return.

          possibly somebody that understands the scriptures in context better than myself can help more. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey , Braken Allen, I am Everett, from Chris Harrison's site. I have read your above article., and how you went to the book of Mormons and Alma. The problem I have is, you found your answer in Joseph Smith's doctrine as he says was revealed to him by a man who became an angel (I forget his name) and, as I was trying to understand on Chris' site, is how can anyone trust Joseph Smith to be right or if so, if we can trust the spirit of a being who claims to once be a man? ... This is VERY scary to me. especially since the spirit says Jesus is a created being (Like Jehovah's witness say he is Micheal the arch angel) And John 1:1 says the word(Jesus ) is GOD. What makes you believe Joseph Smith or the angel who claims to once be a man. My understanding is Angels have always been angels and Man will always be a human being?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Everett!

      The problem with any doctrine on angels is that there isn't ever really a definition of who or what they are in scripture. Yes, we know that angels are very much real, that God works with them, that Satan was a fallen angel, and maybe a few other things, but there really isn't a definition of anything. I could describe my friend Lexi as being one of my closest friends, even though she gets really hyper and sleeps really loudly. I could tell you about her dark hair and how shiny it is. I could tell you about how she and I love to go running together and go for long drives together. And if I never said it, you would never realize that I am talking about my Black Lab. I feel like we are in the same situation with angels. So, can I give you any clear scriptural backing on angels? Not off the top of my head. If you had any scriptures that back up your side, though, I would be interested to see it!

      Also, I think you are confusing our doctrine of who Jesus is. Not only do we agree with John 1:1 and John 8:58, but the Book of Mormon says, "God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people" (Mosiah 15:1) and Doctrine and Covenants, which was revealed to Joseph Smith, says, "Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Lord, your God, and your Redeemer, whose word is quick and powerful" (D&C 27:1).

      We very much believe that Jesus was God, the First and the Last. What we don't believe is that the Son and the Father are one in the same. Perfectly unified in mind and action and will, no question! But separate individuals.

      Ultimately, what I have learned is that I don't have to trust that Joseph Smith is right; I have to trust that the Holy Ghost is right, and the Holy Ghost has witnessed to me that the Book of Mormon, among other of Joseph Smith's teachings, is right. I imagine you would agree with me that we should "Quench not the spirit" (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

      Delete