Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Lest Any Man Should Boast"

One of the most oft quoted verses of the Bible is Ephesians 2:8-9, which reads:
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Many members of the Christian community use this scripture as "proof" that what we do here on Earth doesn't matter, that our keeping the commandments plays no role in our salvation.

First, let me preface what I read this morning with a quote from King Benjamin, found in Mosiah 3:17:
"There shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent."
I assure you, as I write this post, I in no way intend to diminish the saving power of Christ's infinite Atonement. But, as I was reading Alma 26 this morning, I couldn't help but think that Ammon teaches us exactly how to "not boast."

In that chapter, he is just getting home from the Land of Ishmael. It's his mission homecoming talk, if you will. And he is STOKED. I was stunned by the adrenaline as he goes on and on about how incredible his mission was, of the people who were converted, the miracles he witnessed. He even says in verse 16, "I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." 

However, just like many born-again Christians who I speak with, Ammon's brother, Aaron, gets a little wary and says in verse 10, "Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting."

But I love Ammon's response. Well, really it is the rest of the chapter, but I am going to take bits and pieces of verses 11 through 16 so that you understand it:
 "I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold my joy is full, yea my hear is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things.
"Have we not great reason to rejoice? Yea, we have reason to praise him forever, for he is the Most High God. He has brought [our brethren] into his everlasting light, and they are encircled about with his matchless bounty of his love; yea, and we have been instruments in his hands of doing this great and marvelous work. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord?"
Like I said, I could keep going with the whole chapter, but look at this: When we "work" for God, it is not our own work, and we cannot boast of ourselves. I love Ephesians 2:8-9, because it reminds us that it is only by the grace of God through Christ's great sacrifice that we can ever be saved. Ephesians 2:8-9 echoes what the Book of Mormon teaches. 

Nevertheless, it does not advocate that we do not serve God with all that we have to offer. Heavenly Father's Kingdom has to be built, and we are to be the instruments in His hands. Not so we can boast, but so that we can show God's great power and glory.

King Mosiah explained it as such in Mosiah 2:24:
"[The Lord] requires that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?

I love the Savior and am so happy that I am in His service as a missionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment